Once, I ordered a t-shirt just to see how the packaging was.
I was searching for an original packaging, so I though “Let’s see what the others are doing”, so I ordered a t-shirt.
It was a famous brand and t-shirts were not cheap (around $35). If you live in Europe you may know the brand – Superdry.
I was expecting something amazing. And then, order arrived.
It was a plastic bag. Not promising much. “Maybe inside there’s a wonderful package”.
No, it wasn’t. T-shirt was packaged in a clear plastic bag. You can find lot’s of fake Superdry t-shirts in chinese web sites. I am sure these fake sellers have better packages than the real brand. Worse is impossible.
And, by the way, no card, thanking for my purchase. No coupon. Just instructions on how to return merchandise.
Your t-shirt packaging design matters.
T-shirt customers love design and they’ll be disappointed if you don’t have an original package.
Luckily for you, t-shirts have roughly the same format, which means you’ll only need one kind of package.
If you’re selling on-line and intend to send your t-shirts with only one package, then the package should be strong enough to resist mail transportation and delivery.
Where to find ideas for t-shirt packaging.
- Good – Search images on the web for t-shirt packaging. You will not have an original packaging but you can still find very good ideas.
- Best – Search for packaging ideas on google or visit a packaging site. Note that you’re not searching for t-shirt packaging but generic packaging which could include milk, meat, beverage, gadgets and so on. Then ask yourself: could I use or adapt this package to sell t-shirts?
Here are some examples of packages that could be adapted from other products to sell t-shirts.
Pizza Carton Box
Tips on t-shirt packaging
- As said, if you’re going to send the t-shirt by mail, the package should be strong.
- Sometimes it’s great to show your company name on the package and people will know there’s a t-shirt inside. But sometimes you’ll want to create surprise by not showing it has a t-shirt inside. Companies like Johnny CupCakes use this kind of package. I remember once they used a can of ink.
- A nice and beautiful t-shirt package can make your product seems more valuable. This means you can increase your price. You can use a $2.00 package instead of $1.00 and sell one t-shirt for $29.00 instead of $25.00. That’s an increase in revenue of 3 dollars.
- If you choose a package that can be used as a container, you’ll benefice free advertising. For example, a can with your logo could be used as a pencil container. People would see your logo even long after the purchase was made.
- Either way, ask people to use or recycle the package.
- If you’re using the package to send by mail, ask you mail service provider if the package is in accordance to their rules.